How much do you know about a destination when planning a holiday? It is always a good practice to do thorough research before arriving at the destination. Learn about the do’s and don’ts, along with other basic information that will come in handy once you commence your vacation. We are here to let you in on a few things that you should know before traveling to the Andaman Islands.
- Weather: The Andaman Islands being surrounded by oceans mostly experience tropical weather. The ideal time to visit is from December to early May, which is when the rains bid goodbye, and you get to enjoy warm, sunny days at the beach or the evenings with a cool breeze. There are frequent showers from mid-May to November, but if you are someone who enjoys it occasionally then monsoons in Andamans are beautiful too.
- Currency: As it is a Union Territory of India, the currency here is Indian Rupee. For foreigners, we would recommend exchanging money in your country or at the airport once you arrive, because currency exchange options are scanty on the island. It is also advisable to carry enough cash as electronic payment options are limited, and internet connections aren’t very reliable.
- Tipping: It is normal to tip the staff at restaurants, hotels, or even your private driver if you have opted for one. Anywhere between INR 100 to 500 is a fair tip amount. Considering Andamans welcome tourists all through the year, the locals accept tips in return for their services.
- Internet and mobile: Connectivity is not the best when you are away from the main towns and cities. Internet and mobile service providers are limited on the island. Hence, even if you do carry an international sim, it may not work in some places. But don’t worry, as most hotels provide Wi-Fi.
- Restricted Area Permit (RAP): This applies only to foreigners traveling to the Andamans. If you are a foreigner, you will need to get a RAP at Port Blair airport on arrival, without which hotels will not be able to accommodate you. Apart from this, entry into restricted or tribal areas is strictly prohibited, which applies to any visitor.
- Clothing: There are no restrictions on clothing. You can wear what you want, keeping in mind that you are comfortably clothed according to the weather. If you want to indulge in water activities, you need to be in proper swimming gear. This is mainly for your safety.
These are a few of the basic things that you need to be mindful of before entering the Archipelago. Let GoAndamans know about your travel plans to the Andamans, and we will help in organizing the perfect getaway for you.