The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are an amalgamation of cultures from all over India. Naturally, the various cuisines found here are influenced by the different states of India and their local cuisines, making them very versatile for every type of palate. Seafood, of course, is the most popular, considering it is easily accessible on the island. The staple food is rice which accompanied by one of the many other mouth-watering dishes that one must try in the Andaman Islands. Below are some of the local dishes that every traveler must try while visiting the Andamans:
- Fish Curry: Fish is every islander’s favorite seafood and you can find a wide variety of them in the Andamans. The fish curry is made with a lot of different ingredients and is normally quite spicy but delicious at the same time.
- Chilli Curry: As the name suggests this is a hot and spicy dish, which may not be everybody’s cup of tea. However, it is one of the most popular dishes here that is made with a lot of onions, tomatoes, spices, chilies and is one hundred percent vegetarian.
- Macher Jhol: If you are familiar with Bengali food, it will be easy for you to guess what this dish is made of. It is a fish curry cooked in Bengali style with coriander seeds, chilies, turmeric powder, and a few other local spices. The dish originated in Bengal that was brought to the island by travelers many moons ago.
- Prawns: Fresh from the sea, prawns are the all-time favorite seafood among islanders and tourists. It tastes great either fried or in gravy. When made in gravy style, the best dish is coconut prawn curry that goes extremely well with rice. Made with coconut milk and very minimal local spices, it is flavorful.
- Amritsari Kulcha: This dish originated in Punjab and made its way to the Andamans Islands years ago. A great option for vegetarians, it is a type of Indian bread stuffed with onions, potatoes, coriander, and spices. It is a complete meal and does not require any rice to go with it.
- Tandoori fish and chicken: Tandoori Chicken is a popular North Indian dish that has now gained popularity on the island as well. And since, fish is in abundance, tandoori fish is something that one must try while here. It can be found in several restaurants that make it in their own unique style.
- Grills and barbeques: The Andaman Islands are also famous for making some of the best seafood barbeques and grills. Such as grilled lobster, barbeques of crabs, sardines, mackerels, king prawn, to name a few. It is especially popular among backpackers and trekkers.
Apart from the above-mentioned dishes, you must also try their seasonal tropical fruits like guavas, pineapples, bananas, mangoes, and tender coconuts. Seafood is a great source of protein so when you try any of these dishes, you get a great deal of nutritional value as well. So the next time you are in the Andaman Islands, do make it a point to treat yourself to all of the above.